Having been the witness to ancient kingdoms, invasions and processions, the Kandy Lake proudly sits in the epicentre of the city of Kandy.
Some background on the lake:
The Kandy Lake is often called the Sea of Milk, its initial name. This artificial lake was built in 1807 by King Sri Wickrama Rajasinghe next to the Temple of the Tooth and is a protected lake. It still remains a prime place to visit in Kandy.
The cloud wall:
The surrounding wall covering the circumference of the lake is called the Cloud Wall and was designed to accentuate the beauty of the lake, but construction was halted during the colonial invasion of Kandy.
Facts about the lake:
Much of the greenery around the lake consists of Nuga trees, Palm tree and Mara trees, some planted almost over 74 years ago, they now have become home to several species of birds by the lake such as the Indian cormorant and the wood stork. This lake is a short drive from many popular accommodations like the Earl’s Regent Kandy.
While the lake was initially used for bathing and as a water supply for the citizens of Kandy, a rise in pollution levels led to that entire system being halted in the 1960s.