Among many other colonial gifts that Colombo, Sri Lanka has received especially from the British, the Old Colombo Lighthouse is a very significant one, although it’s no longer in operation.
Colombo is a modern city in Sri Lanka which is home to several great accommodation options to tourists such as Residence by Uga Escapes. The Old Lighthouse is also located in Colombo, at the point where Chatham Street and Janadipathi Mawatha join together.
The tower was first constructed as a lighthouse in the 1850’s and this has been designed by the wife of Governor Sir Henry George Ward.
Why it’s no longer a lighthouse?
With many office buildings, apartments, and hotels in Colombo today, this tower is no longer the tallest and thus, is no longer able to serve its purpose as a lighthouse staying erect in the middle of a busy town.
The modern Galle Buck Lighthouse
The new Colombo lighthouse has been established by the Marine Drive. This is actually the replacement for the old Colombo Lighthouse that became obsolete by the end of the 1950’s.