The oldest square in Paris, the Place des Vosges is situated in le Marais. It is part of the 3rd and 4th arrondissements (municipal division) of Paris. The Place des Vosges was formerly known as the Place Royale and was constructed by King Henry IV. The period of construction of the Place des Vosges was from 1605 to 1612. The Place des Vosges is an actual square that measures 140 metres by 140 metres.
The square had its start when King Henry IV constructed a pavilion at the southern end of the square. The pavilion was designed by Baptiste du Cerceau. The King later ordered all other buildings that surrounded the square to follow the design of the pavilion. This earl urban planning of Paris gave birth to its oldest square. The exact number of houses that were involved in this process is not sure, some sources say that it was 39 houses, others say 36, whiles till others say 35, but nonetheless this square was the result. And remarkably the square is an actual square upon measurement. Each of the houses are made from red brick and have stone facings.
Previously the location was home to the Hotel des Tournelles, towards the southern end of the square. Yet after the injury and death of Henry II at a tournament there, the Queen Catherine de Medicis had the building destroyed and moved it to the Louvre.
Paris has a wonderful life and atmosphere. Staying at a Paris Hotel Champs-Elysees would be a good idea, especially if one is not from the area of Paris. Even better would be to stay at luxury hotels Paris and enjoy some luxurious lodging while seeing the many attractions in the area.