HistoryParo Dzong was constructed in 1644, following the orders of Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal, on the site of a monastery built by Guru Rinpoche. A few invasion attempts by Tibet failed with the help of the fort’s defence. During the earthquake in 1897, the fort stood strong but was destroyed by a fire in 1907.
Built on the steep side of a hill, the courtyard in the front of the monastery is 6 metres higher than the actual monastery. Intricately carved wood, the use of gold, ochre and black paint and the strong white walls gives the fort a sense of intimidating power and royalty.
Paro Dzong is open every day, but on weekends, the place is quite deserted as the offices and chapels are closed.
Roland Lefevre is a travel writer who specializes in creating features on leisure as well as business travel destinations across the globe. Google+