Known as the “Big Durian”,
Just outside the city walls of
The Church was built to accommodate around 1000 worshippers of the so called “black Portuguese” – who were the natives and Eurasians brought to
The exterior of the church is rather plain and is built from bricks and plaster. The tiles on the roof are of superior quality that has stood the test of time. The church itself rests on 10,000 round dolkens (poles). However the interior consists of ebony framing, copper chandeliers, granite flooring, and the original pipe organ. The beautiful and intricate wall paintings are courtesy of Ewout Verhagen – a Dutch merchant and artist. The ornately carved furniture was shipped from
Though over 2000 people were buried in the church premises in just 1790 alone, only a few tombs remain today.
The church may be relatively small, however it is beautiful in its simplicity and is rich in culture. The visitor travelling through