Although the Portuguese first built the Galle Fort, the initial fortifications were basic and quite simple. Later on, the Dutch took on to modify the existing fort, and extensive modifications were taken place, making it one of the most hailed archaeological and historical monuments in Sri Lanka
Galle Fort in Sri Lanka has been recognised by UNESCO for its illustration of the interaction between European and South Asian architectural traditions from the 16th to 19th centuries. One can learn more about this exquisite piece of architecture and the surrounding area through internet sources such as Truly Sri Lanka.
The British Changes
Once the British took over the country, the British made the Galle Fort their southern headquarters. During their occupation, they sealed the moat, constructed a lighthouse at the bastion Utrecht, added a gate between the Sun and Moon bastions and did several other changes to the fort.
The main entrance is located on the northern side of the fort and is rather fortified. The moat at the entrance has been widened by the Dutch after breaking the old fort walls built by the Portuguese. It could only be crossed by a drawbridge that was built by the Dutch in 1669.
The Present City
The fort of Galle is a historic location that thrives with several communities and ethnicities. The town that flourishes within the fort today has its origins from the time of Dutch occupation. One may still see the low gabled houses and other colonial buildings scattered among the modern buildings.