The San Agustin Church belongs to the Roman Catholic Order of St. Augustine, situated within the historical city of
The church which stands today is in fact the third structure constructed on the premises by the Order of
It was finally decided to construct a church using a more robust material – stone – to stand the test of time; it was also decided to build a monastery on the premises. The church, constructed in adobe stone, was finally opened in 1607, under the appellation ‘St. Paul of Manila’. This building withstood a series of significant earthquakes, and survived tremendous military activity in World War II.
The church has many distinctive features, and it has been suggested that its design derived from the Spanish churches in the
The interior of the church takes the shape of a Latin cross, with no less than 14 flanking chapels and a magnificent ‘trompe l’oeil’ (deceptive to the eye) ceiling created by eminent artists from