The Kalutara fort was built by the western occupants back in the day as they saw Kalutara as a useful place during the Colonial times. What has become of this fort today?
The building of the fort
It was in 1622 that the fort was built by the Portuguese. The fort was built after demolishing the Buddhist temple, Gangathilaka, a few years after the Portuguese arrived on the island trying to forcefully take the island. The fort was built under the supervision of Jorge de Albuquerque.
The fort was then seized by King Mayadunne, from the Kingdom of Sitawaka. The rebelling army of the natives was led by King’s son, who later came to be known as King Rajasingha.
The Dutch take over
33 years after the fort was built, the Dutch arrived. In 1655 the fort was surrendered to the Dutch when an army of soldiers managed to infiltrate the fort and take control over it. The fort was extended by the Dutch, by connecting it to an island named Diyambetalawa via a bridge.
In the latter part of the 18th century, the British were the next colonial power to take over the fort and Kalutara. It’s used as a fort was diminished and was used as the residence of the Government Agent of the British.
Many people that stay in any hotel in Kalutara Sri Lanka, the likes of Mermaid Hotel & Club, will soon find out that nothing remains of this structure in this city. However, you’ll find the Kalutara temple on the grounds where the fort once stood.
|Auburn Silver is a travel writer who has a passion for fashion and a deep interest in admiring new and exotic attractions around the world. Google+|